Friday, March 24, 2006

Scientology Inc.

My girlfriend and I were on our way to see the Robert Rauschenberg exhibition at the Met the other day, because we're those kind of people. Unlike me, she was on a busy schedule, having to teach some people French later that afternoon. The sun was out, and we walked toward Central Park through the Upper East Side. I was getting mildly excited at all the perverse modern art I was to see, and then a sign, shimmering in the sunlight, distracted me:

SCIENTOLOGY CENTER

And underneath the heading, more fantastic still:

CELEBRITY BRANCH

Surely Tom Cruise had to be here. And John Travolta. Squinting in the sunlight, I lumbered around the front of the building, knowing the gates to this palace would forever be barred to me. But what note was tacked to a velvet board, propped by the front door. Yes,

PERSONALITY TEST.
FREE! COME ON IN!

I turned to my girlfriend. Her eyes already wore a look of resignation. I opened the door. She let herself be ushered in. The receptionist glanced up. The reception was a perculiar mix of the ornate and tacky, with marbles stairwells and numerous books that would resolve your life lining the walls, DVDs also. The receptionist appeared to wink. This was just like "Eyes Wide Shut": Tom couldn't be far. What does one say in such situations? The only thing one can:

"We would like a free personality test. Both of us."

The receptionist nodded. Phew! We had not disgraced ourselves or acted foolishly in a Scientology Center. We were bade sit down on the plush velvet couch, and five minutes later a woman wearing velvet and an intense stair glided down the stairwell. she beckoned us follow with supple gestures, and we were led into an expansive room with a full view of central park. On a table beside us was advertised a river cruise with added scientology, retailing at a cool ten thousand dollars for the full week. "Scriptwriters" would be there, to tell you how to get your life in order. Our helper lady fetched us two pink slips, on which were written many multiple choice questions. It would take half an hour, we were told, "and then we will feed the results into a computer, revealing all the details of your particular personality, and discovering how we can go forward from this point."

I looked at the sheet. Some questions tried to confuse you with the negatives. Like:

"Would you rarely attempt not to dissaude a small number of persons for sabotaging not your private space, but the private space of another?"

Yes, no or maybe?


Some were even trickier:

"Do you like to spend time with children."

Obviously here you want to come over a nice fellow, while somehow not a paedophile.

I jotted down my responses somewhat arbitrarily. My girlfriend had a furrowed expression. I was racing clear! This was just like school! I complete my pink slip in record time. "These questions are foolish, and ungrammatical", my girlfriend told me. I showed her how to finish them--that is, how to answer them arbitrarily. The helper lady returned just as we were finishing off, and looked cross, as if we were trying to cheat the system.

"She speaks French", I reassured her. This seemed to make the immediate situation better, but the larger one worse.

We were marched down backstairs, where we waited nervously while our answers were fed into a machine. I'm adopting a light tone here, but really I was very nervous to hear what the computer would say; there was a lot resting on it. My girlfriend was called to the evaluation suite first. Occasionally the sound of her laughter echoed down the corridoor. Was it her laughter?

A man came into the reception. "You deal with celebrities?" he asked. The receptionist nodded. "You help them stay underground." A nod again. "That's good" the man said. "That's useful to know."

"You know", he said after a moment's silence, "I used to be a Mormon missionary." the receptionist nodded. "I have my own Off-Broadway production. It's called Confessions of a Mormon Boy. It's all about my individuality breaking free from the restraints--fetters--of the church. Look at the internet. Just shoot up 'Mormon Boy Productions.'"

The receptionist seemed a bit more excited at this news. They exchanged advertising leaflets. "So this is all about diagenics?" said the Mormon boy. I knew the answer to this! I had been reading all about the foundation of scientology, and how the founder was able to divine a nuclear explosion in Russia, and all kinds of shit. But I kept my knowledge to myself. And then I was called into the room.

Even though I was expecting to learn some dire news that only an expensive Sceintology course could reverse, I was unprepared for the verdict that hit me. I still have the graph indicating my mental state. It rates me on several categories, such as balance, creativity, etc. It looks like the line on the heart-monitor at the sad point in the movies. My mental graph was awful. I was unstable and morbidly depressed. The only category I scored highly on was aggression. "Are you overly critical", the helper lady asked.

"I'm not overly critical", I shouted. "It's this graph. It's the method it uses."

"Ah-ha" said the woman, nodding her head sagely.

Apparently even though I was a basket-case things could still be improved to bring life to a tolerable pitch. All I needed to do was enroll on a course called "Personal Integrity", and purchase two books, "which didn't even require that much reading." I had learnt my lesson: I purchased one book for $5, and placed it in a shadowy corner of my apartment, concealing my graph of shame, while it accumulates dust until I am strong enough to face my demons and "score some wins." I can't afford the Personal Integrity, so if anyone could help out, I'd be much applied.

Later that night, I saw an advert for an Off-Broadway production, called "COnfessions of a Mormon Boy."

Shoot it up on the internet.

40 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Andrew H said...

Brokeback Mormon! - Variety

Genius.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger 睡衣 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger 音樂 said...

加油啦!要繼續發表好文章喔!........................................

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger 掉了 said...

看到好文章心情就很好 ^^ ........................................

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger 建佑承蘋 said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油加油!........................................

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Porsha蔡Coghlan明宏 said...

It is never too late to learn. ......................................................

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger 昀睿roccolivingstone07 said...

adult成人情色激情成人聊天網情色影片色情俱樂部性愛影片情趣淫水影音情色限制級照片live show女生自慰影片超屌成人情色留言板淫亂女自慰免費視訊辣妹巨乳鹹濕色情影音聊天自拍走光照片免費情色av圖片亞洲情色論壇淫慾免費裸女圖片裙底風光台灣色情論壇一夜正妹淫娃網情色下載a圖片全裸淫蕩女人情色影音聊天高潮自慰色情圖片成人自拍女生自慰亞洲成人色情dvd舔乳頭女生自慰影片台灣色情網站台灣性樂園sex story情色影音激情聊天室嘿咻情色自拍

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger BurtonClary031 said...

18禁,聊天,免費影片,美女短片,0401,免費聊天,免費視訊,0204,78論壇,亞洲影城,視訊聊天,免費影片,聊天室,ut,成人,視訊,都都,視訊,打飛機專用網,小高聊天室,視訊,免費影片,a片免費,a片,18,免費線上視訊,日本a電影,影音視訊聊天室,貼圖區,av,383,77p2p,85cc,無碼,av影片,av專賣店,a片線上看,a圖,免費線上影片,微風成人

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger MathewP_Thu22269 said...

thank u........................................

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger 詩婷v said...

視訊美女聊天室戀愛ing聊天室視訊網愛免費影片分享視訊聊天交友elove無碼av女優,av成人網,台灣kiss情色貼圖彩虹情人視訊彩虹情人視訊交友網後宮視訊ol制服美女影片視訊交友cleansing78論壇av短片-免費a片yam交友浪漫月光論免費影片-aa看倉井空成人情色文學成人情色文學A漫 H漫 成人貼圖片區A漫 H漫 成人貼圖片區成人影片成人片色情片色情影片成人區做愛a片a漫網愛 聊天室網愛 聊天室視訊 美女視訊 美女成人 視訊視訊做愛視訊做愛性愛 聊天室性愛 聊天室情色 聊天室

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger 嘉承翰剛 said...

友情像一棵樹木,要慢慢的栽培,才能成長真的友誼,要經過困難考驗,才可友誼永固 ..................................................

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger 心良 said...

快樂與人生,是最好的伴侶 ..................................................

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger 林雅婷 said...

不勞而獲的事情,並沒有價值........................................

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger 俊茹 said...

時間的銳齒能吃盡一切,唯獨對真理無能為力。........................................

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger asda said...

A stitch in time saves nine...................................................

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger 雲亨 said...

Make yourself necessary to someone...................................................................

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger 智宜 said...

能猜得出女人真實年齡的男人也許耳聰目明,但肯定毫無大腦。哈哈!...............................................................

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger 怡潔 said...

期待你每一篇文章......................................................................

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger 姜志銘 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。......................................................................

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger 育財育財 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger 王雅筑 said...

Of two evils choose the least.............................................................

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger 柏強 said...

期待你的下次更新喔^____^..................................................................

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger ju吳phe宇te佳ns said...

A friend to everybody is a friend to nobody...................................................................

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger 亞賴童h吳賴慧迪童能方童典 said...

far from eye, far from heart...................................................

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger 楊儀卉 said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油加油!.......................................................

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger 黃威宇 said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門............................................................

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger 琬安琬安 said...

感謝您寫下您的生活,也是把珍寶來和諸君分享的心意。 ..................................................

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger 琬安琬安 said...

這樣的情感,真是值得人羨慕..................................................

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger 許惠吟許惠吟 said...

好文章,希望能一直看到您的PO文............................................................

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger 林聿希林聿希林聿希 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的..................................................................

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger 治冠霖士 said...

絕不要羞於承認自己不知道的事。..................................................

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger 華汪昕 said...

老天爺賦予了強者的能力,就是要他比弱者多擔待..................................................

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger 建茂恒霖 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。......................................................................

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger 吳沛黃以富民 said...

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.............................................................

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger 懷明明名懷明明名 said...

不能記住往事的,人注定要重蹈覆轍。......................................................

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger 惠桂刁惠桂刁惠桂刁 said...

Joy often comes after sorrow, like morning after night.. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger 翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊!......................................................................

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger 建枫 said...

看著你的BLOG 好多朋友都回應 真厲害..................................................

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger 文岳仲君 said...

生命所經歷的折磨愈多,其所產生的奮鬥力愈大。................. ................................................

 

Post a Comment

<< Home